Monday, January 7, 2008

SFWA and the Art of Volunteering

Volunteering.

I don't know why, but I feel the need to help out over at the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America. I think I've found a volunteer position that's both beneficial to them and a good fit for me. Somewhere in the middle of December, I took over the job of undating the SFWA Pressbook. (Okay, so that should be *updating* but the typo was so funny I just had to leave it.)

If you haven't visited the SFWA's Pressbook pages, I suggest that you check them out here. Basically, SFWA members can send in their press releases, which are edited and then posted on the site, where they are available both in HTML format and as an RSS feed.

As usual, I can't take much of the credit. Vonda McIntyre, the previous SFWA Pressbook guru (and an excellent writer) has been loads of help, as has my wife (who also does my website). In a very real way, Vonda taught Janet how to maintain the Pressbook site and now Janet is teaching me.

More later,

J

No comments: